My workshop at Scala Exchange was entitled “Essential Slick: Hands-On with Slick 3”. In my experience, Slick is routinely difficult for new Scala developers to pick up. This workshop provides a broad, brief introduction to the main concepts in the library, with more in-depth information available in Richard and Jonathan’s book. You can find a video of the talk and links to the code samples after the break:
Here’s a quick guide to the content covered:
- 0:00 - Introduction. Housekeeping etc.
- 3:30 - Tables. Mapping Scala data types onto the database.
- 23:30 - Queries. Selecting data, query types, query combinators.
- 46:30 - Actions. Inserting/updating/deleting, sequencing actions, transactions.
- 1:17:30 - Joins. Selecting data from multiple tables.
- 1:34:50 - Profiles. Selecting profiles, Freeslick, writing database-generic code.