Essential Slick is a guide to building application using the Slick database library. It is aimed at Scala developers who need to become productive with Slick quickly.
The book covers Slick 3 and purchases include a version for Slick 2.
Praise for Essential Slick
“I’ve found the book to be highly informative—and, if you’re using Slick, necessary, compared to the other Slick resources out there. Highly recommended.”
“Having worked in Scala almost 2 years, but never used Slick, I recommend this book. It got me up and running quickly.”
“This book is the missing Slick documentation. I like the style and clear content.”
We’ve seen that developers using Slick for the first time often need help getting started with the library.
For example, there are unfamiliar concepts to learn and work with, such as database actions. This book gives an understanding of how to work with Slick by walking through the common tasks, explaining the methods and types you see, and providing exercises.
To benefit from this material you will need to know the fundamentals of the Scala language. We recommend Underscore’s Essential Scala as the perfect complement to this book.
- Practical knowledge of working with Slick applications
- Understanding the core concepts required to work with Slick
- Knowing how to use Slicks features for selecting and modifying data
- Modelling schemas in Slick
- Making use of the Scala type system with Slick
- Working with lower-level Plain SQL for fine control over queries
Dave Gurnell ran a hands-on workshop at Scala Exchange 2015 based on the material in this book. Check out the video below for broad, brief tour of the concepts discussed in depth in the book:
- 0:00 - Introduction. Housekeeping etc.
- 3:30 - Tables. Mapping Scala data types onto the database.
- 23:30 - Queries. Selecting data, query types, query combinators.
- 46:30 - Actions. Inserting/updating/deleting, sequencing actions, transactions.
- 1:17:30 - Joins. Selecting data from multiple tables.
- 1:34:50 - Profiles. Selecting profiles, writing database-generic code.